Why does being a socialising adult have to entail such late nights?
I am new to Cairn and all I want to do is make some friends, I am really lonely. My problem isn't lack of invitations, it's just how late they are.
Yesterday I was talking to a nice doctor I have been working with for the last few weeks and he said "We're going out tonight for dinner and then maybe for a drink, you and your husband should come"
I expressed enthusiasm for the idea and we exchanged mobile numbers.
It got to seven thirty, and no call, so I decided to allow my lovely husband to cook dinner for me. At 10:30 I was in my dressing gown dozing on the lounge when I was started awake by a loud beep "we're going for food at Chapel then on to a blues show at the Casino and then to the MET bar"
It was too late! I already had sleep in my eyes! I know, I could have rallied, but I knew I was way past my prime time physically and socially.
I guess I won't be in with the cool kids this year either :-(
I miss my friends and family a lot. In my job you just get rotated from one place to the next in an effort to make you a better, more experienced doctor but it gets tiring meeting and getting used to a new bunch of people every 5-10 weeks. Usually the doctors you are working with are senior, so they are your bosses and it's hard to relax around them, and the nurses treate you like you are a different species.
In Adelaide its the time I spend with my old friends that smooths out the roller coaster ride. Being around people who know me and so if I am a bit down or boring one day I know they aren't going to make a flash judgement about my character.
I don't have that here and it's hard. I am trying to make an effort to just be myself and act naturally, but I do feel self conscious every day, because I still don't really know anyone well.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment